ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATOR (PART-TIME, SEASONAL)
I Love A Clean San Diego is in the business of change. Help us awaken passion and inspire environmental action as we work to improve the health and beauty of San Diego County. If you’re looking for a dynamic, impact-driven organization that values passion and professionalism, we want to meet you! I Love A Clean San Diego is passion in action.
REPORTS TO: Education Manager
TYPE OF EMPLOYMENT: Part-time, Seasonal, Non-Exempt
15-20 hours per week Jan 2020 – Early June 2020; available Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and weekends
PAY RATE: Commensurate with experience; mileage reimbursement ($0.58 or current CA reimbursement rate)
The Environmental Educator implements ILACSD’s education and outreach events. Duties include presenting to schools and community organizations, as well as attending outreach booths and cleanups throughout San Diego County. Candidates must be available weekly on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and one weekend day. Hours vary from week to week, averaging 15-20 hours per week throughout the school year. Potential for continued opportunities from June-August based on the needs of the organization.
- Deliver engaging, informative educational presentations to K-12 classrooms, assemblies, and adult groups throughout San Diego County on stormwater pollution prevention, watershed education, zero waste, and recycling, among others. The majority of programs are held during the school day, with occasional after-school or evening programs.
- Distribute and collect teacher evaluations, student surveys, and handouts
- Maintain and care for department supplies and equipment
- Develop and nourish positive relationships with schools, community groups, clubs, and governmental agencies
- Support all-staff and Education Department events (Kids’ Ocean Day, Zero Waste Workshops, countywide cleanups, etc.)
- Staff 2-4 community events per month (outreach booths, cleanups, etc.), including supply pick-up, set-up, and break-down; weekend availability required
- Respond to ILACSD staff inquiries within 24-48 hours via phone or email (unless prior arrangements made)
- Complete timecards and mileage reimbursement within due dates
- Attend monthly staff and department meetings
- Other duties as assigned to support the ILACSD team
- Teaching/youth education experience required; experience with full range of K-12 students preferred
- College degree in progress or completed
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to educate, inspire, and empower
- Effective communication skills for diverse audiences
- Confident speaking in front of large and small groups
- Commitment to working in a team environment
- Reliable transportation; ability and willingness to travel and transport supplies
- Ability to lift 30 LBS
- Flexible daily start and end times, dependent on scheduled presentations
- Ability to work regular weekend events
- Knowledge of environmental challenges facing San Diego County
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus
- Exhibit ILACSD’s following core values and office culture:
- Live the mission
- Inspire environmental change
- Value partnerships
- Exhibit positive attitude
- Communicate openly to ensure collaboration
- Understanding and supportive of each other and the team
- Respect others and value their opinions
- Encourage learning and growth
TO APPLY: please send resume, availability, and cover letter to Emily Nelson, Education Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Last Name, Environmental Educator” in the subject line by Friday, November 22nd at 4 p.m. PST.
I Love A Clean San Diego provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, age, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, caregiver status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.