I Love A Clean San Diego is in the business of change. Help us raise critical funds to strengthen and expand our education programs and community outreach programs, which awaken passion and inspire environmental action, as we work to foster zero waste lifestyles and improve the health and beauty of San Diego County! If you’re looking for a dynamic, impact-driven organization that values passion and professionalism, we want to meet you! I Love A Clean San Diego is passion in action.
Our mission: I Love A Clean San Diego leads and inspires our community to actively conserve and enhance the environment through example, outreach, and local involvement.
Our vision: A zero waste, litter-free, and environmentally engaged San Diego region.
I Love a Clean San Diego seeks a creative and motivated Philanthropy Manager with proven fundraising grant writing skills to join our strategy team. The strategy team, comprised of both Philanthropy (Corporate, Individual and Planned Giving, as well as Stewardship) and Marketing Communications, aims to expand awareness of I Love A Clean San Diego, secure dedicated community ambassadors, individual and corporate donors and attract volunteers and residents of San Diego County to our portfolio of programs.
The Philanthropy Manager’s primary responsibilities will include prospecting and soliciting foundations and grantors for grant opportunities, bolstering individual giving campaigns and work to deliver creative solutions to support philanthropic activities and organizational ambassador-building for the organization as a whole.
This role includes implementation and management of annual giving and major gifts strategies; development of a planned giving program while at the same time managing a pipeline of prospective donors through effective research, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. We are seeking someone to help deepen our donors’ engagement with I Love A Clean San Diego who thrives off both tactical and operational outcomes and is motivated by building connections between individuals and cause.
Additional responsibilities include collaboration and planning with the Senior Manager of Philanthropy and Marketing to develop annual giving campaign(s), as well as additional targeted giving strategies to include, but are not limited to major gifts, hosted fundraisers and events. Additional assistance with proposal and sponsorship/partnership writing, tracking and donor relations, as well as assistance with special events coordination and coordination with marketing communications efforts that support philanthropic and ambassador-building efforts.
Successful candidate will have proven grant writing experience, outstanding organizational and communication skills necessary to build strong and trusted relationships with staff, donors, and stakeholders, and working knowledge of Donor Perfect, or similar database system.
The Philanthropy Manager is:
- A results-oriented, professional with demonstrated success in fundraising
- A detail-oriented individual who enjoys analyzing data and finding creative solutions to market organizations through fundraising efforts, clearly communicate organizational needs and goals and fostering productive relationships
- A motivated and skilled grants researcher and writer
- Someone who understands how to communicate and blend fundraising efforts with marketing communication professionals and programs managers as a strategic team member
- Someone who embraces the challenge of breaking down barriers and bridging silos to create a more holistic and targeted outreach strategy
- Has new and result-focused ideas and does not subscribe to “the way things are typically done”
- A professional who will jump into the trenches as a team player in a resource constrained nonprofit environment
- A Big Picture thinker who can address the small steps needed to achieve the goals for the greater good of the organization
Philanthropy Duties Include:
GRANT DEVELOPMENT AND OVERSIGHT
- Work with program and strategy team to identify and develop grant opportunities and applications
- Ensure a strong pipeline of grant proposals is identified at all times
- Ensure existing and recurring grants are tracked and renewed in a timely fashion
- Work with strategy team to cultivate relationships with individual, family and community foundations
- Submit on average 2-3 grants applications per month (when required)
DONORS & PARTNERSHIPS
- Manage donor services and administrative infrastructure including data management systems, research, processes and policies to ensure high standards of donor recognition and stewardship
- Create individual giving campaigns in collaboration with strategy team and Executive Director, writing and issuing appeals and thank you letters. Monitor and adherence to established policies and industry standards
- Assist in cultivating and developing partnership/sponsorship agreements for corporate partners/donors, which may entail varying levels of recognition and fulfillment
- Serve on the planning committee for I Love A Clean San Diego’s fundraiser events and assist in coordination
- Creatively and strategic aid in evolving fundraising events to ensure effectiveness and profitability
What Success Looks Like
I Love A Clean San Diego has a challenged, but fruitful philanthropy program, which needs the attention of dedicated and strategic fundraising and marketing team. Philanthropic success is based on defined metrics, defined processes and a planned growth strategy. You are a person who likes to establish and work toward clearly defined goals and find enjoyment from achieving fundraising success
- You have successfully planned multiple fundraising events for over 150 donors and volunteers
- You have submitted three or more grants per month when necessary
- You are recognized by all internal departments as being a key contributor and someone who is presenting new opportunities to I Love A Clean San Diego
- This position reports to the Senior Manager of Philanthropy and Marketing who reports to the Executive Director in collaboration with the Operations Director
- Outstanding organizational and communication skills
- Strong grant researching and writing with an attention to detail
- You have a minimum of 3 years of direct experience in nonprofit philanthropy/fundraising/development field
- Working knowledge of marketing communications
- You have a minimum of 2 years in nonprofit grant writing
- Donor Perfect or donor management software experience
- Passion for the environment
- Process and teamwork orientation
- Fosters Philanthropy as an organizational culture
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree and at least three years of increasingly responsible and successful development experience, with a proven track record of grant writing and donor cultivation
- Proven success in face-to-face cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of gifts $1,000 and above
- Knowledge and experience of working in the San Diego philanthropic community
- Familiarity with approaches to secure foundation and/or corporate grants to support program work
- Ability to thrive in a “small shop” environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of current legal, tax and other standards relevant to fundraising
- Knowledge of environmental issues
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Additional Information: This position is full-time exempt, with work on-site at our office in Kearney Mesa and at various sites/networking sites throughout San Diego County.
Compensation & Benefits
- Paid time off (PTO) plan & generous paid holiday schedule
- Employer-sponsored health and dental plans after 90 days
- 403b Plan
- Alternative Work Schedule opportunity after 90 days
- $50,000 -$60,000/year
I Love A Clean San Diego is a values-driven organization so it’s essential all team members exhibit I Love A Clean San Diego’s following core values and office culture:
- Live the mission
- Inspire environmental change
- Value partnerships
- Exhibit positive attitude
- Communicate openly to ensure collaboration
- Understanding and supportive of each other and the team
- Respect others and value their opinions
- Encourage learning and growth
Physical Requirements and Work Environment: Work is performed in an office setting; regularly sits at a computer station and operates electronic equipment 6 to 8 hours per day; occasionally lifts, carries and positions objects weighing up to 35 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
I Love A Clean San Diego provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, age, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, caregiver status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements in Word or PDF format to Ian Monahan at email@example.com. No walk-ins or phone calls please.